Good news for fans of Avengers: Infinity War (and who isn’t?):The movie will be available on digital, Movies Anywhere/Vudu, and 4K UHD on July 31, with the Blu-ray release arriving two weeks later on August 14. Marvel announced yesterday that digital copies will include a bonus feature, a 30-minute discussion with Marvel Cinematic Universe directors Anthony Russo and Joe Russo, Jon Favreau, Joss Whedon, James Gunn, Ryan Coogler, Peyton Reed, and Taika Waititi. Amazon is now taking pre-orders for the HD and 4K/UHD streaming editions, as is Vudu. Vudu is also releasing a bundle with the first Avengers film and Age of Ultron. (Am I the only one who sees Captain America: Civil War as a key missing piece to this set?)
And just in case you missed them, Marvel Studios celebrated the 10th anniversary with a release of 33 character posters. You can probably expect that if the superhero isn’t in this line-up they won’t be key to the sequel next year–except for the lead superheroine of the one movie yet to be released, Captain Marvel, coming March 8, 2019. Check out all the posters below. The 32 characters include both those who lived and some who died under Thanos’s power, plus others who didn’t make it into Infinity War at all, like Valkyrie, Korg, Wong, and Hawkeye–really all but the Avengers support team members Happy and Agents Hill and Coulson. Marvel seems to recognize that fans still want to see more of the characters that made the posters.
Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman posted this trailer advertising the home release yesterday, and all the details known so far follow:
Expect the usual pile of features to arrive with Infinity War. Ten minutes of deleted scenes include the follow four segments:
- Happy Knows Best (1:23) – Tony and Pepper spar over the details of their upcoming wedding—until a hassled Happy Hogan pulls up with an urgent request.
- Hunt for the Mind Stone (1:24) – On a darkened street, Wanda Maximoff and the wounded Vision attempt to hide from Thanos’ brutal allies.
- The Guardians Get Their Groove Back (3:20) – As Peter Quill and Drax quarrel over their failed mission to Knowhere, Mantis interrupts with news.
- A Father’s Choice (4:00) – Thanos confronts Gamora with a vision from her past—and with lying to him about the Soul Stone.
Also look for the requisite gag reel and directors’ commentary, plus the following features, but check the version you’re buying because–as always these days–not all retailers will carry all features, and some retailer editions may have bonus features not available elsewhere:
- Strange Alchemy (5:08) – Share the thrill of characters from across the MCU meeting for the first time—and discover why some were teamed up together.
- The Mad Titan (6:34) – Explore the MCU’s biggest, baddest villain, his trail of influence through the stories, and the existential threat he represents.
- Beyond the Battle: Titan (9:36) – Dive into the climactic struggle on Thanos’ ruined world, including the epic stunts and VFX, to uncover the source of its power.
- Beyond the Battle: Wakanda (10:58) – Go behind the scenes to find out how the filmmakers pulled off the most massive and challenging battle Marvel had ever attempted.
In addition to Valkyrie and Hawkeye (above), here are the other Marvel Studios 10th anniversary posters:
The fourth Avengers title and as yet unnamed sequel to Infinity War will be released May 3, 2019. That will be quickly followed by the next as yet unnamed Spider-man film, coming July 5, 2019. With recent juggling of Disney studio release dates, an unnamed Marvel movie will be due out February 12, 2021, and it’s very likely that will be the sequel to Black Panther. Another Guardians of the Galaxy film and two other films (possibly a Black Widow movie and another Doctor Strange movie) will be announced later to arrive in the interim.