Back in 2017 we previewed a line of superheroines in Mattel’s longstanding, ongoing line of its famous Barbie dolls. The first featured Wonder Woman characters from DC Comics, and two years later from over at Marvel Mattel released a line of X-Men figures featuring Mystique, Storm, and Dark Phoenix (there has been a Tomb Raider Barbie, too). In 2018 Mattel rolled out the first 17 figures in an Inspiring Women role model series, but we think the latest Barbie celebrates the greatest superheroine of them all. Recognizing decades of dedication, ground-breaking research, and heroic achievements as a conservationist, Mattel has revealed its next Inspiring Women Barbie: Dr. Jane Goodall–and she’s the first Barbie ever to be made from recycled materials (75%).
And it includes a lovely sculpt of her long-time friend David Greybeard.
You can order the set now here at Amazon or pre-order the set now here at Entertainment Earth.
But Dr. Goodall isn’t the only environmentalist and animal rights champion coming to Barbie.
First, here are the details on the Dr. Goodall set:
- The Barbie Inspiring Women Series honors ethologist and activist Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE, founder of the Jane Goodall Institute (more at janegoodall.org), with a collectible Barbie doll made from recycled materials.
- Dr. Jane Goodall Barbie doll comes equipped with a notebook and pair of binoculars and wears field attire featuring a khaki shirt, shorts and boots.
- This collectible doll is joined by a figure inspired by chimpanzee David Graybeard.
- Dr. Jane Goodall Barbie doll is the first in the Inspiring Women Series to be made from recycled materials.
- This celebration of Dr. Jane Goodall’s decades of dedication, ground-breaking research and heroic achievements makes a great gift for collectors and kids ages 6 years old and up.
And more photos:
The next great release from Mattel in the Barbie line is an all-new four-figure set: The Eco-Leadership Team! This fantastic group of role models represents a range of careers in the ecology, conservation, energy, sustainability, and environmentalism fields, and they are available now here at Amazon and for pre-order here at Entertainment Earth.
Be inspired to be your own world-saving superhero with this set. Here are the details:
- Explore a world of learning about the environment and sustainability with the Barbie Eco-Leadership Team!
- This career set includes 4 unique dolls that come with career-related clothing and accessories: a Conservation Scientist, a Renewable Energy Engineer, a Chief Sustainability Officer and an Environmental Advocate.
- This set of 4 career dolls are made from recycled plastic (excluding the head and hair), wear clothing made from recycled fabric and are certified CarbonNeutral products.
- The Conservation Scientist wears a green shirt and pants and comes with binoculars and a notebook. She researches and takes action to understand and protect forests, parks, rangelands and important natural resources.
- The Renewable Energy Engineer wears a uniform with a hard hat and safety vest and comes with a solar panel and tablet. She supports the use of sustainable forms of energy such as solar power, wind, geothermal or hydroelectric energy.
- The Chief Sustainability Officer features wears a pink suit and comes with a laptop and cell phone. She works with a company or organization to make sure their actions and products are economically, environmentally and socially sustainable.
- The Environmental Advocate wears jeans and a graphic T-shirt and comes with a camera and sign. She takes creative action to solve social and environmental problems in communities and around the world.
- Makes a great gift for ages 3 years old and up, especially those who love the environment and want to make the planet a happy, healthier place.
Check out the links above for more information on these new Barbie dolls.
C.J. Bunce / Editor / borg