As with many movies these days it seems like studios release enough trailers that by the time you see the movie you already know it front to back and can even quote key lines. It looks like the same may be true for the new Star Trek movie coming out soon, Star Trek Into Darkness, all previewed here earlier. And this weekend Paramount released yet another preview.
Lots of great colors and “wow!” imagery, maybe even more so than with the earlier teasers and previews. Even more story elements are revealed including many that make you want to sit down and list how many plot points it has in common with Star Wars: The Phantom Menace and the other Star Wars prequels. Depending who you are and how much you liked the Star Wars prequels, a comparison like that may or may not be a good thing. But with J.J. Abrams locked-in to begin directing Star Wars: Episode VII soon… you just can’t help draw the comparisons. Here’s a few apparently obligatory prequel scenes to think about as you watch this trailer:
- Jar Jar and Qui-Gon Jinn chased on foot across the fields of the planet Naboo
- R2-D2 suddenly having the ability of flight across a planet’s surface
- giant vertical cityscapes of Coruscant
- female/alien bounty hunter Zam Wesell’s lavender outfit
- space car chase scene with cocky Anakin and serious Obi-Wan Kenobi complete with joking banter
- Jar Jar Binks, Qui-Gon Jinn and Kenobi in a submarine craft startled by a sea creature
- and even though it’s not from the prequels, remember Han Solo’s line to Chewbacca before the jump to light speed?
Abrams, of course, didn’t land the Star Wars gig until after most of the production for Star Trek Into Darkness was complete, so it’s not like this Star Trek prequel is really a practice run for a go at the first Star Wars sequel since Return of the Jedi. (Then again, we sure hope we don’t see Abrams’ trademark lens flares in the next Star Wars films).
Still no confirmation in the new preview of whether Benedict Cumberbatch’s villain is more than meets the (strangely shiny blue) eyes.
So check out the new trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness:
Star Trek into Darkness has a U.S. release date of May 17, 2013.
Abrams Star Wars: Episode VII is expected to be released in 2015 and has reportedly already signed Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford for at least cameos.